Fiona Brennan, In Bloom Doula, is a Postpartum Doula based in Co. Mayo. She has four children, two boys and two girls. She supports families after the arrival of a baby, by providing practical, emotional and informative support.
Fiona has very kindly shared some tips with us that will help moms preparing for the transition back to work. It’s a big transition for moms, so it’s great to get some insights and ideas that might work for our own family situations and make the transition a little easier.
1. Be kind to yourself – it’s okay to feel sad, to feel overwhelmed, to be nervous, maybe you are also a little excited to get out and met people again and to have a lunch break again!
2. Build trust with your childcare provider – start researching early, take the time to get to know your provider before you start back at work, ease into routine slowly, start by dropping baby off for an hour first and slowly build up the amount of time you leave them for a few weeks before work starts.
3. Set clear boundaries – with your colleagues and with yourself. Are you available to do overtime? Can you bring work home? Be clear about what you are happy to do.
4. Share the load – Sit down with your partner and plan your week out. Who’s in charge of drop offs, pick ups, grocery shopping, cooking, bedtimes etc.
5. Plan some quick and easy midweek meals. Maybe consider batch cooking at the weekend so you can have more time with baby in the evenings.
6. Find your mum tribe – people who have being through it, people you can call/text when you need advice or a good rant!
7. Plan something nice to do at the weekends. It’s great to have something to look forward, a walk, a lunch out, meeting a friend etc.
Do you have any tips that you found made the transition back to work easier? We’d love to hear them, so let us know in the comments below.