This is such a simple recipe, tastes great and can be prepared ahead of time so you can crack on with the turkey! We usually use this Smoked Trout Pate on canapés but you can use larger slices of sourdough, or crudités, to create a tasty Christmas starter or dip for the whole family.
280g Smoked Trout (we recommend Goatsbridge)
250g Cream Cheese
2 tbsp natural yoghurt (we use Killowen)
Zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 tbsp of finely chopped dill or chives
Fresh baby lettuce leaves
1. Put the cream cheese, natural yoghurt, lemon zest and juice in a blender, mix together until smooth. Season.
2. Flake in the smoked trout, being careful to remove any bones and skin and blend slowly until you reach the desired consistency. (You can choose to simply stir it in but some children prefer it smooth).
3. Add the chopped dill or chives, stir well to combine and season to taste.
4. Serve garnished with dill fronds, baby leaves and freshly toasted sourdough drizzled with olive oil.
5. For the kids, serve in a small bowl with carrot and cucumber batons, and breadsticks.
The pate can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
*Image courtesty of the lovely team at The Wilds Ireland