Dessert idea from Dunowen House in West Cork @dunowen_house
175g dark chocolate (55-70% cocoa solids, buy best you can)
175g butter, cubed
25g cocoa powder (good quality)
225g soft brown sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
100g plain gluten free flour (I use Doves brand)
1/2 400g Caramel (Carnation brand is perfect) or make your own caramel if preferred
Sea Salt flakes
1. Preheat oven to 150 C fan oven or 170 C regular oven & line base & sides of a 20cm square cake tin.
2. Melt chocolate, butter & cocoa powder in bowl over a saucepan with few cm of simmering water. Remove from heat once melted.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar & vanilla extract until light & creamy.
4. Continue to whisk, then add in the melted chocolate / butter mix.
5. Sift in flour & fold with a spatula or metal spoon.Pour mixture into prepared cake tin.
6. Mix seasalt flakes in caramel to taste then using a teaspoon drop approx 6 – 8 blobs of caramel into cake mixture in tin. Using a skewer or knitting needle swirl the blobs around so you have a marble effect. Sprinkle top with some of the seasalt flakes.
7. Bake in the heated oven for 15-20 minutes. The centre should still have some wobble, don’t be tempted to overcook or it will be dry & cakey.
8. Leave to cool then cut into squares.
9. Drizzle remaining caramel over the top if required, serve with fresh cream / ice-cream & raspberries.
*Image from Dunowen House @dunowen_house