The roots of The Pavilion began in 1932 when John O’Leary established one of the earliest commercial greenhouses in Ireland. From his greenhouse in Togher, John supplied mainly tomatoes, to local traders, The English Market and Roches Stores were amongst his daily city delivery runs along with many other small shops and traders throughout Cork City. John’s son, Micheál continued the tradition of growing fruit and vegetables and in the early 1970’s, Micheál relocated from Togher to Myrtle Hill, Ballygarvan, where he established a couple of acres of new glasshouses.
In 2001, following completion of his studies in Horticulture, Micheál’s son, Charlie, took over the nursery. Following a number of increases in the prices of oil and other competitive pressures, Charlie decided to diversify the family business of growing tomatoes to include growing flowers and shrubs. From here The Pavilion, as we know it today, began.
Our family ethos has always remained the same throughout the years; leading by example, farming, growing and producing, and using sustainable principles because we care for the land on which we work and the crops we produce. What began as a simple passion for real food and a desire to feed our children well has grown into The Pavilion as we know it today. Understanding and living the principles of sustainability and environmentally responsible practices drive us to continue sharing our passion.
Eating well is sharing seasonal, local, quality produce that nourishes our bodies. We believe that growing food organically, following the year’s natural rhythms, is not only best for the future of our planet, it is better for our wellbeing too.
Ballyduhig South, County Cork, T12 YD28, Ireland